How frequently do you come across brands which sound too personal or too robotic? Yes, there are dozens of such examples where brands flood out automated tweets to its followers or even worse have tons of robots added as followers on their account.
Marketing is not a fad or jargon- marketing is all about people, and social media marketing is about how a brand reaches out to more people through social media. Time and again, we see examples where brand sends out canned responses to its customers- which leave a bad impression if not entirely negative.
Here I am listing out some of the most common mistakes that marketers make on social media:
1. Too much sharing is not caring– Oversharing of anything is bad, know where to put a line. Your fans need not know what you have for your lunch every day.
2. Know who to connect with– Just because someone follows you, does not mean you have to follow back. Use your discretion and know who to connect with.
3. Respond with care– You may at times have to face heated up queries or a fan might vent out anger openly in public. Do not get into the impulse and respond in the same flow or even delete the comment. A more professional way is to acknowledge the flaw and respond in a softer way to understand what the issue is.
4. Keep a measure– Always streamline your effort and effectiveness i.e, keep a check as to where you are going with your current plan and where you want to be. Many marketers want to align their campaigns with the current trend and end up doing something which is not even aligned to their business. Keep a check and understand where you want to put your efforts and how much will you gain out of it.
5. Don’t promise something you can’t keep– Building an online community is a lot more difficult as compared to offline ones because of obvious reasons. Building a brand with loyal fans and followers takes years of efforts do not mess it up by unnecessary promises or incentives you cannot keep up with. ‘It’s better to have 100 loyal fans than 1000 fake ones.’ And when you finally win your fans’ trust not let it go. Be in constant touch, give surprises, little incentives from time to time and boost it up with your kind words- a better way to build closer bond than just on incentive basis.